In the Philippines right now the duration of Main and Secondary faculties is currently being debated whether to incorporate one more two far more decades in the usual 6 several years most important and 4 yrs secondary, earning secondary also 6 several years for a overall of twelve many years in preparation to college or university schooling. University principals and instructors alike are divided. Paying out moms and dads in the privates educational institutions are resistant even though even non-paying out mom and dad in the public schools increase their brows on the approach of the government. Lots of sectors concern the software for that would mean having to pay more and staying extended in college. Parents want their little ones to finish university appropriate absent so that their young children can aid them ease their poverty. So what is actually the use of including decades in the 100-year long educational system when Filipino graduates all over the globe are competitive. Beneath is a proposal primarily based from a research the author executed on the Language and Literature software of Famy Countrywide Significant School Laguna, Philippines on the feasible solution to assistance the deficiency of college students preparing and publicity to Literature ahead of they go to tertiary or higher training sans the difficulty of including range of years in the secondary college.
Just after scanning the ecosystem of the students, lecturers and the materials readily available in Famy National Higher College in Laguna Philippines they the two employed when they had the English 4, the proponent noticed the desires to put together the refreshing graduates from the Famy National Large School by giving a preparatory crash program software in Literature to get ready them for the requires and rigors of university Literature programs.
The fourth-year superior school college students did not have more than enough exposure in mastering Literature mainly because the e book they used entitled Going In advance in English released in 1999 which was framed on integrative technique as a result, mastery of the four macro skills was emphasised in the course of the year. The classes they had in Literature was a blended of Environment Literature, Asian Literature and Philippine Literature specified just after each and every lesson. Their publicity on Literature was not primarily based on a stable foundation since the aim was a lot more on language and not on Literature. Out of seven lessons, one was only supplied to Literature with questions focusing on the moral or didactic lessons. The learners them selves seemed at Literature as springboard lessons to language classes without having price for it as an art kind.
The two academics on their own assigned in training the fourth 12 months had been passionate teachers teaching the language classes but they come to be considerably less energetic when they arrive at the Literature classes for the reason that college students did not examine. A single teacher was BSE big in English graduate from Union Faculty of Sta. Cruz, Laguna and the other was device earner in Instruction with a Bachelor’s diploma in Accountancy. Both equally rarely attend seminars on the latest tendencies and challenges in instructing Literature because of the scarcity of monetary assist from the college. That’s why, their information and procedures were based mostly from their previous undergraduate schema.
With these problems, the proponent indeed observed the wants of preparing the pupils as a result of a crash course software in Literature with the adhering to causes:
1. inform students about the fundamentals of Literature they by no means had in large school 2. explore literature, not as a springboard of language classes, but as it is as an art 3. get ready students to the requires of Literature classes in College or university and 4. immerse pupils on the latest tendencies, methods and difficulties in finding out Literature.
B. DESCRIPTION OF THE Software: The crash training course plan in Literature generally aims to get ready the incoming freshmen to School Literature courses that they in no way acquired or encountered significantly in higher college, not due to the fact they were not taught, but simply because the tactic then was integrative of the four macro expertise and Literature was used as springboard to language classes. The crash class discusses the basics of Literature from concepts, theories, use of methods, trends and issues in discovering literature used altogether in educating the students. The system is only a crash class to be sent in 45 hours with 3 hrs for each lesson. The fifteen-day classes possibly in MWF (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) or TThS (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) schedules are devoted to classroom dialogue and other the latest pursuits that culminate in a wide range clearly show of poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation, actions which are also done in higher education. It is in MWF or TThS agenda to give learners time to read through and attain their assignments on the classes just before coming to course.
C. PROPONENT OF THE Method The proponent of the plan is Wilfredo M. Valois who is a present-day student in Medical doctor of Philosophy big in Literature at the Philippine Usual University, Manila. He has been educating Literature subjects at the Royal and Pontifical College of Sto. Tomas (UST), Manila for twelve (12) several years. He has taught topics like Philippine Literature in English, Introduction to Literature and Classical Planet Literature.
D. FRAMEWORK OF THE System With the advent of technologies especially the television, radio and world wide web, folks have turn into less receptive to what is likely on all over them, rather, they develop into additional dependent on what they check out, they see and what they hear relatively than what they study. People’s vision is blurred by the convenience what technology gives them consequently forgetting the benefit of looking through, the price of Literature. In the academe, with the concentrate on the communicative competence and other at any time-shifting approaches and theories, the teaching and discovering of Literature is typically dwarfed, minimized or even abandoned by several universities.
Carolina Garcia and Ophelia Diamante reminded audience that Literature ought to advise and entertain. A good literature will have to be equipped to awaken folks from ignorance to enlightenment. Additionally, they explained that literature need to have intellectual worth, emotional value, spiritual benefit, universality, permanence, type and most of all artistry.
Similarly, Edilberto Tiempo states that literature or excellent literature is meant to shift, it should seduce but a work’s emotive high-quality ought to not assault the sensibility, it will have to be ungirded by reasonableness, by logic, it have to enhance and satisfy the intellect, it ought to have the inevitability.
The requirements on how the literary options in this crash program application on Literature ended up dependent from Jose Garcia Villa’s requirements as cited by Edilberto K. Tiempo’s ideas on what really should be incorporated in any anthology of Literature. They are compound and sort. Jose Garcia villa mentioned that he followed double typical of type and compound. Compound involves vitality of issue and considerable collection of information. Authentic compound is obtained only when a pulse beats via the correlated points, for substantial substance on your own, if without the need of beat of lifetime, continue being dead material. To accomplish validity, thus, substance in fiction should be living as nicely as important. The 2nd take a look at is form. It necessitates vigor of composition despite the fact that type and material in literature are a artistic just one and they are indivisible, nonetheless they are distinct. So earning feasible this exam of sort. Form, in literature, is the sufficient and lovely externalization of material. It is not restrictive, mould, but is absolutely free, yet artistically disciplined presentation of compound.
Literature liberates the mind and spirit as just one reads by means of the web pages. The working experience one particular has in seeking at a portray, listening to a classical new music or a relocating effectiveness in a theatre is related to the studying of a literary text. It moves the head to consider critically. It touches the coronary heart with that emotive electricity when 1 reads poetry or reads a perform. All these results and much more are expert by viewers or learners which include the fans when they are arrested by highly effective literary texts with lovely variety and substance.
Literature is an instrument to battle illiteracy. People today have develop into dependent on moving images and flashed items that they are inclined to read through fewer. Folks have develop into lazy visitors if not none audience at all, hence elevating our standing of illiteracy. Many thanks to the government’s effort in placing Substitute Discovering Method or ALS in a variety of municipalities and barangays where by academics educate the illiterates. But the attempts are geared toward economic and not artistic. For this reason, the discussion on the conflict among “artwork for art’s sake” (autonomy of the artwork) and “art for social consciousness” (proletariat literature) is at the time yet again substantial. The crash class gives an solution to this debate as it hinges on bridging the hole and conflict in between the autonomy of artwork and social awakening by offering pupils the creative literary texts that will give them at the identical time an awakening together the way in the analyze of literatures.
The plan is built to satisfy the desires established by the Fee on Increased Instruction (CHED) to give at least six units of Literature classes throughout self-control in the basic training. Namely, the two courses are Introduction to Entire world Literatures and Regional Philippines Literatures. That when they move forward to higher education education and learning, incoming freshmen will be additional than prepared to face the demands of the Literature programs with out insecurity and ignorance because of to lack of exposure and training in literatures.
E. Goals: At the conclusion of the crash program, incoming freshmen are envisioned to: 1. Determine the meaning of literature 2. Differentiate fiction and non-fiction 3. Enumerate the five genres of literature 4. Evaluate and distinction the characteristics of narrative and poetry 5. Attract or diagram the framework of a narrative plot 6. Go through a poem with feelings according to its type 7. Describe the figures of speech utilised in the texts 8. Discover figures in the small story, novel or drama 9. Explain the placing in the short tale, novel or drama 10. Arrange reasonable sequence of plot in the small story, novel or drama 11. Synthesize themes from the texts 12. Trace the causes and effects of actions of figures in the texts 13. Appreciate the textual content the culture of a state 14. Identify an writer and his/her perform 15. Analyze a textual content applying different techniques in knowledge literature 16. Publish a critique on the assigned literary textual content 17. Recite properly and separately a poem 18. Dramatize correctly scenes from the text 19. Mount a selection present highlighting poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation.
F. System Content: The crash program involves excerpts from Literature programs that Fee on Bigger Schooling CHED has mandated what every single school university student ought to get throughout self-control. Namely they are:
LITERATURE 1: Regional Philippine Literatures
This class presents a study of environment literatures representing a gamut of human activities as exemplified in diverse literary styles and forms.
LITERATURE 2: Introduction to Entire world Literatures
This program introduces students to consultant literatures from the locations tackling the wide array of Filipino encounters and experiences as these are expressed via themes this sort of as gender, racial identity, class and heritage
G. MATRIX OF COMPETENCIES/Aims AND THEIR CORRESPONDING Lessons:
1. Define the that means of literature Lesson on Introduction to Literature 2. Differentiate fiction and non-fiction Lesson on Introduction to Literature 3. Enumerate the five genres of literature Lesson on introduction to Literature 4. Compare and distinction the options of narrative and poetry Lesson on Introduction to Literature 5. Attract or diagram the framework of a narrative plot Lesson on Introduction to Literature 6. Study a poem with emotions according to its type Lesson on Poetry 7. Describe the figures of speech applied in the texts Lesson on Poetry 8. Recognize characters in the small tale, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 9. Explain the setting in the small tale, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 10. Arrange logical sequence of plot in the brief story, novel or drama Lesson in Fiction 11. Synthesize themes from the texts All lessons 12. Trace the triggers and consequences of actions of people in the texts All lessons 13. Value the text the lifestyle of a state All classes 14. Recognize an writer and his/her function All lessons 15. Analyze a textual content making use of various methods in being familiar with literature
All classes 16. Produce a critique on the assigned literary text lessons in poetry, brief tale, novel, drama and essay 17. Recite affectively and individually a poem Lesson on Poetry 18. Dramatize successfully scenes from the text Lesson on Fiction 19. Mount a range display highlighting poetry recitation, dramatization and choral recitation. All classes
H. SYLLABUS ON THE CRASH Class Application IN LITERATURE
Articles/ Subject areas Instructing/Finding out Pursuits Time Allotment 1. An Overview on Literature a. Definition b. Causes why we analyze literature
Group function brainstorming Dialogue Timeline
2. Varieties of Literature a. Fiction and non-fiction b. According to nations around the world c. According to classification Library investigate Excitement group discussion Jigsaw puzzle Diagramming
3. Seven (7) standards of fantastic Literature a. Samples for every single exemplifying each individual typical
Pair get the job done Collage Poster-creating 3 hours
4. Genres of Literatures a. Poetry b. Limited tale c. Novel d. Drama e. essay Popcorn dialogue Diagramming Thought bubbles 3 several hours
5. Poetry a. Mother nature and styles b. Features c. Figures of speech Lecture Chanting Diagramming 3 hours
6. Reading and analyzing of samples of poetry a. “God Claimed I produced a Man” by Jose Garcia Villa b. “The Guy of Earth” by Amador T. Daguio c. “Si Lola Isyang at ang Matandang Puno ng Kaimito” d. “Halting By the Woods on a Snowy Night” by Robert Frost e. “I am No person” by Emily Dickenson f. A sonnet by William Shakespeare g. “Psalm 23” by King David Discussion Looking through of the textual content Chanting of the textual content Unlocking vocabulary Position playing Pair work Synthesizing by way of slogan Produce a critique paper 3 hours
7. Limited Story a. Nature and styles b. Elements Discussion Diagramming Library analysis 2 hours
8. Examining and speaking about/ analyzing of samples: a. “How My Brother Leon Brought Dwelling a Wife” by Manuel Arguilla b. “Harvest” by Loreto Paras Sulit c. “Footnote to Youth” by Jose Garcia Villa d. “The Lady and the Tiger” Nameless e. “The Reward of the Magi” by O. Henry f. “The Necklace” by Person de Maupassant Literary map Assumed bubbles Comics strip Movie poster Radio drama Skit Job actively playing Tableaux Dialogue Produce a critique paper
9. Novel a. Mother nature and types b. Features Discussion diagramming 2 several hours
10. Reading and talking about/analyzing of samples: a. An excerpt from The usa is in the Coronary heart by Carlos Bulosan b. The Pearl by John Steinbeck Literary map Assumed bubbles Comics strip Film poster Radio drama Skit Role actively playing Tableaux Discussion Compose a critique paper
4 several hours
11. Drama a. Character and styles b. Factors Dialogue Pair get the job done Jigsaw puzzle 2 hrs
12. Looking at and talking about/analyzing of samples: a. “The Earth is an Apple” by Alberto Florentino b. “New Yorker in Tondo” by Marcelino Angana Thought bubbles Comics strip Movie poster Radio drama Skit Part enjoying Compose a critique paper Tableaux Dialogue
4 several hours 13. Essay a. Mother nature and varieties b. Things Discussion Diagramming 2 hrs
14. Examining and discussing and examining of samples: a. “Heritage of Smallness” (an excerpt) by Nick Joaquin b. “On Having a Belly” by Lin Yutang c. “Of Studies” by Francis Bacon Mock discussion Pair work Excitement group discussion Slogan crafting Discussion Publish a critique paper 4 several hours
15. Culminating Action by a Wide range Exhibit of: a. Poetry recitation of “Halting By the Woods on a Snowy Evening” b. Skit or Dramatization of “New Yorker in Tondo” c. Choral Recitation of “God Claimed I Designed a Male” Range demonstrate Poetry recitation Dramatization Choral recitation 3 hrs